Responding with a new Suit after a 1NT Opening |
- With 5332 shape and a 5-card major (♥ or ♠) prefer to bid the major.
With semi-balanced or unbalanced shape and a 5+card major (♥ or ♠) always bid the major.
- With an unbalanced hand and a 5+card minor (♣ or ♥), bid the minor suit.
- With a 5332 or semi-balanced hand and a 5+card minor (♣ or ♥) prefer to bid NT (Provided that the HCP are spread over the four suits)
Suit responses to a 1NT Opening are:
- 3♣ ♦ ♥ ♠ = 8+ HCP, 5-card suit : Forcing to Game
- - 2♣ = 8+ HCP, with a 4-card major : Stayman Convention
- - 2♦ ♥ ♠ = 0-7 HCP, unbalanced hand : Rescue bid
- with 3-card support : Opener bids Game in Responder's suit
- with 2-card support : Opener bids 3NT
- - 4♥ 4♠ 5♣ 5♦ = 8+ HCP, 6+card suit
The Stayman Convention
A 2♣ response to a 1NT Opening is the Stayman Convention. It asks Opener to show his 4-card major suit(s).
Opener's replies are :
- - 2♣ - = No 4-card major
- - 2♣ - = 4 ♥s or both 4-card majors
- - 2♣ - = 4 ♠s
( - 3♣ is also used as Stayman Conventions)
In an Indirect finesse a low card is lead up to a high card.
You try to avoid Opponent's high card : ♥ 9 5 > > > 4 7 ♥
In an Direct finesse a high card is lead up to a higher card.
You try to catch Opponent's high card : ♥ J 10 > > > 4 7 ♥
For a Direct finesse you need to have 4 of the top 5 (or 6) cards in the combined hands.