Comment on NT Responses
However when both sides are competing to secure a contract the situation has changed.
- The standard responses after a 1 in a suit opening bid are :
- 1NT = 6-10 points : need not be balanced
- 2NT = 13-15 points : balanced (forcing to Game)
- 3NT = 16-18 points : balanced
A responder is much less likely to hold 16 or more points, and the bidding space with both sides making calls, has become rather congested.
- Therefore NT responses
- to a takeout double (Lesson 14.4), or
to Partner's opening bid after an enemy overcall (Lesson 19.1) are :
1NT = 6-10 points : need not be balanced, with stopper in the enemy suit
2NT = 11-12 points : balanced, with stopper in the enemy suit (invitation to Game)
3NT = 13-15 points : balanced, with stopper in the enemy suit
Copyright © 2006 Michael Furstner (Jazclass)